Power of Purpose
Learn to work and lead with purpose
“Research shows that people with a strong sense of purpose sleep more, work better, and live longer, and purpose-driven companies dramatically outperform the market and better attract and retain their talent.”
—Joe Brown, IDEO Portfolio Director
Power of Purpose
Why do you exist? And why does your organization exist beyond making a profit? In this class, you’ll explore what it means to work and lead with purpose. You’ll dive into real-world stories of companies and teams around the globe working to create meaningful change. Uncover your team or organization’s true purpose, develop an authentic purpose statement, and take action to bring it to life beyond slogans and posters.
Whether you want to find individual purpose or lead your team or organization through purpose, this class will help you define, articulate, and activate your purpose. And bring more meaning to your every day.
Introduction Reflect on your personal purpose and discover three professional purpose lenses.
- Unpack and define the idea of purpose.
- Reflection: When you look at your past, what are some of your proudest moments?
- Activity: The Purpose Study
See it Take steps to find your professional purpose.
- Map out moments of pride and passion in your work.
- Reflection: When your work is at its best, who are you serving?
- Activity: Choose your professional purpose lens and reflect on moments of purpose.
Name it Learn tips for writing a lasting purpose statement.
- Explore the relationship between identity and behavioral change.
- Reflection: How might you bring more meaning to your team?
- Activity: Craft a purpose statement for your team or organization.
Do it Discover ways to activate purpose at the team and organizational levels.
- Learn how other organizations have substantiated their purpose and brought it to life in meaningful ways.
- Reflection: What small actions might you take to bring purpose into everyday activities?
- Activity: Create your purpose plan.
Learn from IDEO Portfolio Director Joe Brown
As a Portfolio Director at IDEO, Joe Brown leads work centered on helping companies organize to build their future—creating the cultures, communities, structures, and systems they need to succeed. That means that Joe is often tangled up in building new innovation labs, rethinking product development, and scaling new capabilities. Joe has also helped several dozen companies become purpose driven—not just creating purpose statements, but bringing purpose to life at every level of the company.
Prior to IDEO, Joe taught courses in Marketing and Organizational Behavior at Stanford Graduate School of Business, where he also earned his MBA. Before that, he edited textbooks for the SAT, moonlighted as an interaction designer, and sold art in several New York galleries.
“I enjoyed the bite-sized lessons and the activities that helped me immediately reflect on the content. I was able to write a purpose statement, which is something that I've struggled with in the past.”
Innovation Program Designer, Richland School District 2
“Very well done class as well as crazy practical.”
Professor, Point University
“IDEO courses always help me think bigger and in more positive ways. I love how the process opens up so many possibilities that I had missed and gives steps to go from idea to action.”
Director of Presentations, Siemens PLM Software
Why Take Power of Purpose
When a company focuses on making meaningful change in the world, it stokes employees’ passion, inspires them, and injects powerful significance into their work. A clear purpose defines why your organization exists; it guides people through change and volatility, encourages emotional commitment, and motivates people to lead from wherever they are. Beyond strategies, mission statements, and goals, purpose is why people get out of bed in the morning and come to work every day. Power of Purpose will help you lead, motivate, and inspire others by establishing a guiding light for your team and organization.
This Class Will Help You
- Define why your organization exists beyond making profit.
- Clearly define, articulate, and live your team or organization's purpose.
- Lead, motivate, and inspire others by rallying around a clear purpose.
- Craft a lasting purpose statement.
- Find true meaning in your work.