From Ideas to Action
EDUCATORS LEARNING COMMUNITY
Join this in-course community and build practical design thinking skills alongside educators around the globe.
From Ideas to Action
About the Educators Learning Community
We're partnering with the IDEO Teachers Guild to create this unique in-course community for educators interested in developing their design thinking skills.
Teachers are the innovators education has been waiting for, and design thinking can help teachers activate their own creativity and solve the biggest challenges in education today. The creative problem-solving methods of design thinking equip educators with the skills and confidence to design for the evolving needs of their students and schools.
What Does This In-Course Community Involve?
Go through the 5-week From Ideas to Action online course alongside a cohort of educators across the globe and share questions, insights, and ideas.
Grow your skills as a designer by ideating, prototyping, and iterating solutions to challenges in education today.
Get inspired by best-in-class projects coming out of IDEO's Teachers Guild and Design for Learning Studio.
What Educators Are Saying
"When Descartes and Bacon were thinking of the term 'enlightenment,' they were clearly thinking of IDEO and its influence on me and my school Annual Administrative Retreat. This year in our Wonderfully Creative Time Together (formerly known as The Administrative Retreat), we took four school events that occur at the beginning of the year, converged-diverged-converged and prototyped the hell out of them. The year will be different because we will start differently. Interacting with all of you made this happen."
Head of School at Indian Creek School, Administrator in MISBO (Making Independent Schools Be Outstanding)
"IDEO U has had a huge impact on my career and personal growth. I remember taking the first IDEO U survey about creative confidence and rating myself really low. I'm now much more confident about my skills and am so thankful for this learning and growth experience. Each day at work is amazing and I love stretching and being part of such a diverse professional learning community. I continue to learn from the courses and apply that learning to my work."
Innovation Program Designer, Richland School District 2
"The materials provided by IDEO combined with the skilled professors create a powerful, well-versed resource. This gave our team the opportunity to practice our learning in a tangible, real-world setting."
Founding Dean, College of Innovation & Design, Boise State University
How Design Can Empower Students & Educators
In our most recent Creative Confidence Series webcast, we sat down with Sandy Speicher, Managing Director of IDEO's education practice and a strategic adviser to the K-12 Lab Network at the Stanford d.school, to discuss design thinking in education and how teachers can be powerful change agents for schools and education as a whole.
From Ideas to Action is a deep dive into the design thinking skills of ideation, prototyping, and iteration. This 5-week course will teach you how to frame your ideas as experiments and bring others in on your vision of the future. Use experimentation to learn from failure and move from incremental to radical innovation.
Join the course and collaborate with a global community of learners from diverse industries to push your learning, share and receive feedback and resources, and develop long-term connections.
FOUNDATIONS IN DESIGN THINKING CERTIFICATE
Complete Insights for Innovation and From Ideas to Action to earn the Foundations in Design Thinking Certificate.
Introduction Review how insights help spark ideas that lead to action and choose your project challenge.
- An introduction to three approaches that will get you from ideas to action: ideation, prototyping, and iteration.
- Discussion: What prevents us from sharing our ideas with the world?
- Activity: Choose your project challenge and apply what you learn in this course to a "real life" scenario.
The Art of Ideating Go beyond brainstorming-learn techniques for coming up with innovative ideas.
- Quickly generate, develop, and test ideas. Get comfortable with generating an abundance of ideas, even ones that might seem ridiculous at first.
- Discussion: If you land on a solid idea, why should you keep generating more possible solutions? Shouldn't you just stop when you've come up with something good?
- Activity: Plan an ideation session, ideate with two to four people, and choose your top ideas.
Rapid Prototyping De-risk your new ideas by gaining feedback with early prototypes.
- Learn how to make your ideas tangible so you can share, get feedback, and push them even further.
- Discussion: How do you invite others to experience something that exists only in your brain? How do you start making your idea tangible?
- Activity: Plan for your prototype, build a prototype, and share it with others.
Iterate Your Way Forward Get results faster by evolving your ideas to be more desirable, feasible, and viable.
- Learn how to move your idea forward through multiple rounds of ideation and prototyping.
- Discussion: Why is trial and error so important?
- Activity: List questions that will help you iterate, prioritize those questions, ideate again (and again), and plan for the future.
Learn from Brendan Boyle, IDEO Partner & Toy Lab Founder
Brendan Boyle believes that play is the key to innovation. This philosophy guides his work as a toy inventor, consulting associate, professor at Stanford University's d.School, and Partner at IDEO. He founded the Toy Lab to explore kid-centered solutions to the challenge of boredom. Under his leadership, the Toy Lab has invented and licensed hundreds of toys and archetypes, including the best-selling app Elmo Calls with Sesame Street.
Brendan also consults with companies about redesigning their organizational behavior to include space for play, wrote the course From Play to Innovation offered at Stanford's d.School, and co-authored the award-winning encyclopedia of never-before-seen inventions, The Klutz Book of Inventions.
Why Take From Ideas to Action
From Ideas to Action teaches the design thinking methods of generating ideas, making them tangible, and refining them through the process of experimentation. Learn the IDEO skills and mindsets of building to think and experimenting your way forward. As IDEO Founder David Kelley says, "The trick is building a culture of experimentation. Then, by definition, if you're not failing some of the time, you're not doing an experiment."
This Course Will Help You
- Turn your ideas into small experiments where failure becomes learning.
- Build rough and rapid prototypes so others can help you get from outrageous to brilliant ideas.
- Create a culture of experimentation on your team and move from incremental to radical innovation.
- Move from ideas to real innovations in the marketplace through the process of ideation, prototyping, and iteration.
- Bring others in on your version of the future.
Sneak Peek of the Course
At IDEO, we're all about learning by doing. We use prototypes to make our ideas tangible and gather feedback from others. This peek inside the course will show you one way a past IDEO startup in residence, PillPack, used prototyping to learn how to talk about and price their new business offering.