Leading for Creativity
“Creativity is what keeps organizations ahead in the marketplace. That means you, as a leader, need to empower your team to generate and execute bold ideas.”
—Tim Brown, CEO of IDEO
Leading for Creativity
Learn IDEO’s methods to scale creativity within your team and organization. Leading for Creativity highlights Tim Brown’s personal leadership philosophy. You’ll learn how to guide teams into the unknown through the process of experimentation, break down a bold vision into actionable challenges, and make adjustments to culture by designing rituals to encourage beliefs and behaviors that support creativity.
In this course, you’ll practice among a community of like-minded professionals from all over the world and receive guidance from teaching assistants who are also practitioners of the skills and mindsets of creative leadership. Tim Brown, along with some of IDEO’s most experienced leaders and inspiring creative partners, will help you unlock the potential of your team and organization.
FOUNDATIONS IN CREATIVE LEADERSHIP CERTIFICATE
Complete Leading for Creativity, Storytelling for Influence and Cultivating Creative Collaboration to earn the Foundations in Creative Leadership Certificate.
Introduction Explore how a curious mindset can help you challenge assumptions, inspire others, and unlock creativity.
- Introduction to 3 creative leadership approaches: Leading with a Strong Point of View, Leading through Culture, and Leading Alongside.
- Discussion: Why do you think creativity is more important today than ever?
- Activity: Observe a meeting to learn how to embrace the mindset of curiosity.
Leading with a Strong Point of View Set a new course for your team or organization by crafting a well-framed challenge.
- Practice leading with a strong point of view by holding a strong vision, inspiring others, and taking risks.
- Discussion: When have you seen leading with a strong point of view shut people down? When have you seen it inspire others?
- Activity: Create “How might we” challenge questions for your organization and gather feedback from others.
Leading through Culture Design rituals that reinforce the beliefs and behaviors of creative teams and organizations.
- Learn to set new norms inside your organization that support creative work.
- Discussion: What does leading through culture mean to you?
- Activity: Design a ritual to address gaps or tensions in your company culture and get feedback from others.
Leading Alongside Stay present and engaged with the work of your team as they experiment with innovative ideas.
- Learn to lead alongside by being present, staying engaged, and remaining at eye level.
- Discussion: What does leading alongside mean to you?
- Activity: Experiment with two of the five techniques for leading alongside.
Learn From IDEO CEO Tim Brown
Tim Brown is CEO and president of IDEO. He frequently speaks about the value of design thinking and innovation to business people and designers around the world. He participates in the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, and his book on how design thinking transforms organizations, Change by Design, was released by Harper Business in September 2009.
An industrial designer by training, Tim has earned numerous design awards and has exhibited work at the Axis Gallery in Tokyo, the Design Museum in London, and the Museum of Modern Art in New York. He takes special interest in the convergence of technology and the arts, as well as the ways in which design can be used to promote the wellbeing of people living in emerging economies.
“We've been trained to compete in a world where everything centers on statistics and numbers. Numbers govern our world. Tim Brown's leadership philosophy is changing the way our people think. We now focus on the people using our products and services, so that we can continue to be relevant in an uncertain future.”
CEO of Ford Motor Company
“It takes more than desire to empower your teams to pursue the right ideas. In this course, you’ll be exposed to well-honed methods for creating the capacity for idea generation, driving customer centricity, assessing and breaking down barriers to execution—whether functional or cultural—and de-risking what it means to lead and be creative.”
Director of XD, Small Business Segment, Intuit
“I learned from Tim Brown and IDEO that a leader's role is not to always have the answer, but to create the conditions for things to happen. Organizations like IDEO, Pixar, and Airbnb aren't assuming a work style just because other systems work that way. They find their own style, grow a culture, and leadership helps that culture to thrive. IDEO teaches how to instill purpose, motivate, inspire, and encourage people to think beyond their ‘job.’”
Chief Design & Innovation Officer, Sutter Health
“The way work happens today is a hangover from the industrial era and it’s impacting the way we work today. It's too top down and not collaborative. IDEO continually leads the business world by sharing ways to unlock more creative problem-solving. This drives better, faster results at all levels of the organization. IDEO U makes these skills available to your teams and organization.”
Senior Vice President, Wells Fargo Customer Experience Insights
“Leading for creativity is a new leadership skill. And who better to learn from than Tim Brown, CEO of IDEO, the most successful innovation firm for the past 20 years? This course is interactive, fascinating, and mind opening.”
Former of VP Design, Innovation and Strategy, Procter & Gamble
“In a rapidly changing world it's key to innovate efficiently. Design thinking equips teams—large and small—to do just that. When learning from Tim, you're learning from the best. I owe him a lot.”
General Partner, Google Ventures
Why Take Leading for Creativity
Leading for Creativity shares IDEO’s best practices on nurturing and inspiring creative organizations. These teachings are born from thirty years of practice with the top leaders and innovators around the globe. We’ve released this point of view only through IDEO U because we believe the world needs more creative leaders to tackle today’s toughest challenges.
This Course Will Help You
- Lead your team to become more experimental.
- Set the conditions for creativity and innovation in your team and organization.
- Set a new course for your team or organization by crafting a well-framed challenge.
- Use the power of questions to inspire others to navigate their work with confidence.
- Instill purpose, motivate, inspire, and encourage people to think beyond their job.
- Bring your unique vision to life out in the world.
Sneak Peek of the Course
At IDEO, we’re all about encouraging beliefs and behaviors through thoughtfully designed rituals—repeatable habits made with the intention of supporting creative work. This peek inside the course will show you a weekly ritual IDEO uses to increase playful collaboration among colleagues.