Insights for Innovation: January 17 - February 25
Learn IDEO’s approach to gathering human-centered insights that fuel innovation.
Insights for Innovation is at the heart of what IDEO is known for—human-centered design. This 6-week in-depth focus on the first phase of design thinking will ground you in the needs of the people you’re creating for. Develop empathy for your customers and surface insights for creating products and services they want and need. Gain practical design thinking skills and mindsets and turn your customer needs into human-centered solutions.
How is Insights for Innovation different from Hello Design Thinking?
While Hello Design Thinking is a 90-minute introductory design thinking class for people who need an understanding of the basics of design thinking, Insights for Innovation is a 5-week in-depth design thinking course for those looking to deepen their design thinking skills and mindsets.
In this course you will learn and practice five skills for insights:
- Observing: “Listen with your eyes" and discover what people really care about.
- Learning from Extremes: Stretch your thinking beyond assumptions and get to bolder ideas.
- Interviewing: Conduct interviews to get deeper, more honest responses.
- Immersive Empathy: Learn what it means to “walk in someone else’s shoes.”
- Sharing Insights: Craft compelling insights that will inspire innovation.
What Our Learners Are Saying
Fantastic content, excellent format, very engaging, interesting materials, and just plain fun. This is one of the best courses I've taken online.
Director - Global Delivery Model Services, PwC
Good structure, material, and great team.
Senior Software Engineer, Roku
What You’ll Do:
- Watch interactive videos. They’re bite-sized (1-5 minutes).
- Practice what you’ve learned through interactive activities. We believe in learning by doing here.
- Tackle a project challenge. You can solve anything creatively!
- Share your ideas. You’ll have the support of experienced guides and a community of like-minded learners.
- Pace yourself. You can set your own drumbeat for this course and get the full experience even with a busy schedule.
Taste of the Learning Experience:
You can learn a whole lot about people from what they carry in their bags. In the video below, get curious about the lives of others.
Estimated Time Commitment: 30 minutes–4 hours per week (over 5 weeks). We've designed an experience with layers of content for all appetites.
What You’ll Get:
- A flexible skill set to discover new insights.
- A course toolkit to keep practicing your skills.
- Feedback from experienced designers and a community of like-minded learners.
- Completed work that you can share with others.
- A Certificate of Completion to post on your professional network.
About Your Instructors
COE LETA STAFFORD
JANE FULTON SURI
As a popular public speaker, she regularly addresses design and business audiences, and lectures at Stanford, Harvard and other universities internationally.