OpenIDEO Fall Prevention Team
Learn IDEO methods to design impactful solutions for seniors.
The OpenIDEO Fall Prevention Team is a unique team learning experience designed to help individuals learn to prototype through a practical real world challenge.
This course is $399. Deadline to enroll is February 7.
We all have a stake in collaborating to prevent the more than 7 million falls that happen across the world each year. OpenIDEO is teaming up with IDEO U to offer community members an opportunity to learn how to generate creative ideas and bring them to life through prototypes.
We want to destigmatize fall prevention tools—to build solutions that leverage knowledge and expertise across generations and geographies.
Join the OpenIDEO Fall Prevention Team and we’ll work together to design tangible solutions that help prevent falls.
As part of the OpenIDEO Fall Prevention Team, you’ll:
- Participate in IDEO U's From Ideas to Action course.
- Learn the life-long career skills of ideation, rapid prototyping, and building on your solutions through feedback.
- Receive a team kickoff call, a private workspace in the course, an IDEO coach, and metrics on the performance of your team.
Enrolling in the IDEO U course will not increase your chances of having your idea selected as a Top Idea in the OpenIDEO Fall Prevention Challenge.
- Why this opportunity?
- Learn - a fun engaging learning opportunity
- Connect - learn on a team of peers and make connections in your industry
- Practice - learn by doing working with a real life challenge
- Grow - improve as a social impact leader or innovator
- Course Details
From Ideas to Action will show you how to generate creative ideas and bring those ideas to life, so that others can experience your vision of the future. In this course you will learn and practice three skills for moving from ideas to action:
- The Art of Ideating: Go beyond brainstorming – learn techniques for coming up with innovative ideas
- Rapid Prototyping: Make your ideas tangible, so you can gather feedback from others
- Iterating Your Way Forward: Get results faster by evolving your idea to be more desirable, feasible, and viable
What You'll Do:
Estimated Time Commitment:
The course is self-paced over five weeks. We've designed an experience with layers of content for all appetites.
- Watch and reflect (30-60 minutes per week): Deepen your understanding through course videos and discussions
- Practice (1-3 hours per week): Apply what you learn to activities and assignments
- Create (you decide): Generate ideas and develop a prototype by applying course lessons to a project challenge
About Your Instructor
Brendan Boyle believes that play is the key to innovation. This philosophy guides his work as a toy inventor, consulting associate professor at Stanford University’s d.School, and Partner at IDEO. He founded the Toy Lab to explore kid-centered solutions to the challenge of boredom. Under his leadership, the Toy Lab has invented and licensed hundreds of toys and archetypes, including the best-selling app Elmo Calls with Sesame Street.
Brendan also consults with companies about redesigning their organizational behavior to include space for play, wrote the course From Play to Innovation offered at Stanford’s d.School, and co-authored the award-winning encyclopedia of never-before-seen inventions, The Klutz Book of Inventions.
- Team Experience
- Our Supported Teams Experience Includes:
- An IDEO U coach that will work with the team to help them get un-stuck
- A kick-off call with the coach to make sure the team is set up for success
- A private break-out space where the team can discuss and reflect in complete privacy
- Engagement metrics to keep the team accountable over the span of 5 weeks
- Scholarship Information
- IDEO U and OpenIDEO are committed to inclusion and accessibility. One of our top priorities is fostering our diverse community. That is why we are offering full scholarships to individuals that demonstrate real need for financial support. We never want finances to be a barrier to your journey of becoming a creatively confident leader. We're offering 5 full scholarships to the most deserving candidates. Please apply here by 11:59 PM PT, February 2 to be considered. Here are the qualifications we're looking for:
- Real financial need
- Ability to make an impact in the topic (fall prevention)
- Will dedicate time weekly throughout the course to be actively engaged with the course
- Past experience/involvement with OpenIDEO
- Willing to host at least one in-person event
- Share feedback and their stories from their participation
In collaboration with: