IDEO U Careers
Thank you for your interest in IDEO U, a division of IDEO!
We believe that we can deliver the highest value in our work by incorporating the diverse perspectives of a well-rounded team in terms of knowledge, skills, and cross-cultural understanding. An eclectic and egalitarian workforce helps IDEO realize our full potential by allowing us to better understand, relate, and respond to our clients and their customers around the world.
Please see below for some career opportunities we have open at IDEO U.
B2U Business Development Associate
In a nutshell:
IDEO U, IDEO's online education platform, is in search of a Business Associate to support our exploration and expansion into the Higher Education/Executive Education market. This person will field incoming leads, qualify new potential clients, and collaborate with the broader IDEO U team to deliver a quality learning experience.
Why is this role important for IDEO's work?
For the last 30 years, IDEO has been nudging the edges of design, pushing it toward a methodology called “design thinking” to solve complex challenges across spaces, organizations and whole systems. Now, with IDEO U, we are teaching and empowering others to develop design thinking skills, ignite their creative capacity and build their collaborative muscles to tackle complexity.
The Business Development Associate will be an important addition to our team extending our reach to Higher Education/Executive Education organizations interested in embedding design thinking and creative leadership skill development into their programs. This is a new role at IDEO U where you will bridge business development and relationship management for an untapped, high potential new market. You will be the first touch for new potential clients, ensuring a positive initial experience with IDEO U. You will generate and manage the pipeline of business opportunities and accounts for IDEO U in the Higher Education/Executive Education market. You will be the primary client services contact, guiding learning on the platform and managing the delivery of IDEO U's offers with our Higher Education/Executive Education clients.
Once here you will:
- Working closely with our Business Development lead, our Managing Director/Dean and other business development team members across IDEO, follow-up on all leads to identify the client's needs and evaluate if the opportunity is a good fit with IDEO U offers. Track and report new leads.
- Effectively and efficiently communicate our offer and value proposition creating materials specific for Higher Ed and Exec Ed partners . You will produce materials, brochures, website content and proposals that will advance our offer and business development processes.
- Build relationships with Higher Education/Executive Education partners and shepherd them throughout their IDEO U learning journey. Manage multiple partners across multiple online courses — often globally distributed — running kickoff calls, training client leaders, and working across IDEO U to develop the assets and tools to ensure engagement, learning success and ultimately retention.
- Hold a set of partnerships to help us experiment and refine a better Product-Market fit for the education sector. The ideal candidate may also hold relationships that connect to the educational content, helping to advise the academic partners about blending our courses into their classrooms and curriculum.
- Gather, interpret and share data engagement metrics and insights with partners, enabling student engagement and active learning.
- Capture stories of impact to help others see what good can look like in a fast changing area of education.
- Identify opportunities to grow within education clients and liaise with the Business Development team.
- Collaborate with the Learning Experience, Product Management and Product Marketing teams to ensure platform features are developing with an ear toward the Higher Education/Executive Education learning experience.
If you're the ideal candidate, you have a keen eye for detail, you love connecting with people, running multiple processes simultaneously, and rolling up your sleeves to get things done. You live at the intersection of education, design and technology. You have a passion for helping others learn and adopt new ways of working. You have an endless excitement for honing the ways our offers can better fit with our client and learner needs but also at scale. You will help us identify the right opportunities for impact.
- A minimum of two years of relevant client facing experience required. Ed-tech / start-up experience preferred.
- A strategic mindset to identify, evaluate and frame client opportunities that are aligned with IDEO's capabilities and focus. Facility and comfort with developing connections with people inside and outside of an organization. A curiosity of about how organizations work and what might make them more innovative places overall.
- Exceptional writing and communication skills
- Strong project management skills with an attention to detail and the ability to multi-task, work efficiently and effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Quick learner, adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity
- Familiar with Microsoft Word, Excel, and a presentation applications like PowerPoint, Keynote and InDesign.
- Agility with tech platforms and design tools like Asana, Slack, Keynote; Adobe is a plus
- Strong presentation skills are important.
- Experience as an educator is desired.
- Familiarity with IDEO, IDEO U courses, and design thinking preferred.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It's a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
Our work environment appeals to self-directed, flexible team players that have great interpersonal skills, learn quickly, embrace ambiguity, prototype new thinking and relish the opportunity to guide potential clients and project teams in translating challenges and questions into opportunities for innovation. This role requires design sensibilities, business acumen, and client empathy.
The position will be based in IDEO's San Francisco location. Moderate travel will be required.
Application requirements and instructions:
Please apply with a resume and cover letter (yes, we read cover letters).
Does this sound like you? If so, let's talk more!
Interested? Please visit our IDEO careers page for more details on how to apply.