AIGA SF - Scholarships for Diversity
Advance your diversity project through design thinking + storytelling.
Are you currently pursuing a design-related project, program, or business that champions diversity? SF Scholarships for Diversity are an opportunity to learn and practice IDEO methods and take your diversity project to the next level.
Deadline to apply is March 29, 2017.
Diversity makes design better. As designers, we understand that for our creations to attain the level of impact we seek, we need to internalize different perspectives, viewpoints, and cultures. We want to support individuals fostering diversity—and help them in their quest to include the voices of diverse perspectives and to tell the stories that promote inclusion. Scholarship winners will have the opportunity to:
- Participate in IDEO U's Insights for Innovation or Storytelling for Influence courses.
- Learn the lifelong skills of generating human-centered, empathic insights, uncovering unmet needs, and refining your story to achieve maximum impact.
- Practice new skills and receive feedback from IDEO U mentors, alumni coaches, and a supportive community of innovation professionals.
- Why this opportunity?
According to the Inneract Project:
“In 2015, only 6% of U.S. graduates in design fields were African American and only 10% were Hispanic. For these same professional groups, the disparity extends with African American and Hispanic employment representing only 3% of our workforce. We believe those numbers can be improved with a strategic deliverable being stronger inclusivity. Inneract Project empowers underserved students through design education that links them to opportunities to explore design in college, career, and life.”
AIGA SF and IDEO are committed to diversity. We see design as an opportunity to reshape the future and learn from those around us.
- Course Details
Scholarship recipients will have the opportunity to select one of two courses to further their diversity project.
- Insights for Innovation - This course will encourage you to see the world differently, so you can uncover deep insights that help you solve problems in new ways.
- Storytelling for Influence - This course will help you create impact inside your organization. Whether you need someone to back your organization, invest in your idea, or get excited about following your lead, storytelling can position you to succeed.
- Scholarship Information
Please apply by 11:59 PM PT, March 29, 2017 using the form below to be considered.
The selection criteria for the AIGA SF - Scholarships for Diversity are that the applying individual:
- Is currently a professional and existing member of AIGA SF
- Is currently pursuing a design-related project, program, or business that champions diversity
- Demonstrates commitment to positive change in the greater community
- Fosters social and/or environmental responsibility
- Lily Shen, President
- Dawn Zidonis, Executive Director
- Karin Mynt, Education Chair
- Max Batt, Interactive Chair
In collaboration with: